Friday, May 22, 2015

Sprouting Mix - Inexpensive Option



Sprouting our grains will benefit us tremendously during a disaster situation. Not only are we increasing the nutrients by up to 2000% by sprouting them but sprouted grains, nuts, seeds, or legumes are also easier to digest and the nutrients within them are more bio-available to our system.

We can easily sprout the grains, legumes, seeds and nuts that we may already have stored in our food storage:

  • wheat
  • rye
  • barley
  • sunflower seeds
  • lentils
  • beans
  • and more
Here's a printable sprouting instruction sheet I hand out at my classes and seminars - it tells you how to simply and easily sprout all manner of grains, nuts, seeds and legumes. 

Having said all that - I have really wanted a yummy sprouting mix stored away meant solely for sprouting. This sprouting mix will be sprouted and given to my family as a snack or to be topped on any type of food we're eating be it a casserole-type meal or soups. 

The cost of a sprouting mix like this ranges from $85 to $110 for a 5-6 gallon bucket! This was more than I could get myself to spend. After looking at the cost of how much it'd be to put together a sprouting mix similar to this by purchasing these grains and seeds in bulk - I was excited to see how much I'd be saving!

Here's the video on how I put it all together:



Seeds I used:

Wheat (white) - 25 lbs - Dave's Farms
Rye Berries, Organic - 25 lbs - Azure Standard
Peas Green, Whole - 25 lbs - Azure Standard
Lentils, Green, Organic - 25 lbs - Azure Standard
Mung Beans, Organic - 25 lbs - Azure Standard
Adzuki Beans, Organic - 25 lbs - Azure Standard
Fenugreek Seeds, Whole, Organic - 4, 1 lb bags - Azure Standard

These grains and seeds filled up 4.5 - 5 gallon containers. 
This brought my overall cost of each 5 gallon container (including the cost of the containers and lids) to $55.50.

If you want to save a little money a little further - omit the fenugreek seeds.

- - - This sprouting mix will store for 10+ years. - - -

Diatomaceous Earth can be ordered from Azure Standard, Alpine Food Storage, possibly from your local health food store, or buy the food grade kind somewhere online.

As always, I hope this information will be a blessing to you and your family.

~Claudia


9 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your blog! I should mention that I tried to make a similar mix from things I had so I could taste it, and everything but the adzuki beans sprouted. The adzuki were stored in a gamma seal bucket with oxygen absorbers for 2 years. The rest were stored in half gallon vaccuum sealed mason jars. I'm hoping that using mylar bags will ensure a more airtight seal and keep things in sprouting condition. I got everything from Azure Standard, so probably the same quality. The good news is that it was easy to separate the sprouts from the adzuki's by floating the sprouts in water,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, My understanding is that if you deprive your beans, seeds, nuts, etc. of oxygen then they essentially die and will not sprout. They are a living thing even though they are not growing and the lack of oxygen deprives them of "life" and they will not sprout, which is what you experienced with your adzuki beans. I always store my sprouting grains in a 5 gallon bucket with DE to keep them safe from bugs, but never with an O2 absorber or in mylar bags.

      Delete
    2. I had wheat in mylar bags with an oxy packet for more than 10 years and it DID sprout. I only had wheat though so I can't attest to the other ingredients.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever tried the cannery wheat? What would be the difference between the cannery Wheat and wheat from Dave's Farms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello -
    Is it possible to use the LDS Cannery Whole White Wheat to save on cost for a Super Saturday Activity? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. READMORE THE MIRACLES OF ACTIVATED CHARCOAL FROM BORNEO FOR OUR HEALTH in http://zabdielnotes.blogspot.com/p/zabdiel-riset-arang-aktif-charcoal.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia, have you done a similar thing with the typical smaller sprout mix...?

    alfalfa, radish, cabbage, clover

    Or know of anyone who has? I would love to get similar guidelines or recommendations for doing a self-made sprout mix with these smaller seed sprouts as well.

    ReplyDelete